Carpentry contractors are professionals in the field of construction who are responsible for the building or renovation of a house, building or any structure in which wood is the main material. They solicit the services of skilled individuals for the different aspects of construction for the interiors and exteriors. These include the whole structure, moldings, cabinets, windows, doors, walls, fences, floors, finishing, and decks, among many others. Carpentry contractors, just like any general contractor, are in charge of the means and methods to be used in the execution of the construction project following the details of a contract.
Carpentry contractors are individuals Carpenters Reading or employees of property owners and developers who coordinate and supervise the carpentry work at construction sites from beginning to end. They get construction contracts by submitting bids or price quotes to possible individual or company clients. They study the building plans and specifications especially on materials, labor and safety to be able to offer clients accurate price quotes. Once their bids are accepted, carpentry contracts may now hire other contractors, subcontractors and carpenters for the project. A carpentry contractor’s work usually starts with the construction of the building skeleton.
Carpentry contractors usually hire the following people for their skills and expertise on specific levels of construction:
Framers – carpenters who build the skeleton of the building using different techniques such as platform framing, balloon framing or timber framing.
- Maysters – assigned to do rough carpentry such as framing, formwork and roofing among others
- Joisters – are the carpenters who attach the floor joists. These are the horizontal boards connecting the frame of the structure at the level just below the floor.
- Finish carpenters or joiners – are those whose work involved making the cabinets, furniture, fine woodwork, and parquets among many others.
- Trimmer or molder – assigned to build the doors, window casings, fireplace mantels, and baseboards.
- Cabinetmakers – as the name implies, they are carpenters assigned in making furniture designed for storage
- Roofers – construct the roof with specialization on rafters, beams and trusses
Carpentry contractors are carpenters themselves who mastered there craft being apprentices under carpentry masters. However, a successful carpentry contractor usually gets a good education by getting degrees on construction science, construction management or civil engineering among many others. Otherwise they get courses in site planning, design, construction methods, construction administration or business and financial management. They also attend training programs and work in companies which specialize in the contracting business.